Wednesday 21 September 2011

Going down to the wire...

So, today I was expecting to be posting some sort of update about how the packing is coming together, how excited/nervous I am with 3 days to go etc - sadly things aren't exactly going quite to plan.

After last week's really negative post I continued feeling ill so went to the doctors last Thursday. The first doctor I spoke to said that he didn't think I'd be well enough in time for the challenge. The next doctor I saw said that the virus that I have (apparently it's "going round" at the moment) has been wiping people out for 1-2 weeks so it'd be touch and go whether I'd be well enough or not.

Since the weekend I have started to feel a bit better, still feeling exceptionally tired and have a bit of a cold but the hot sweats etc have gone. A couple of days ago I noticed what I assume is a swollen gland come up behind one of my ears, today more have come up and I now have a pretty 'bumpy' neck/chin area... they also feel quite painful (but I have to admit I have been prodding them somewhat) and my voice isn't totally there.

So now really I don't know what's going to happen. I'm going to try to see a doctor tomorrow to see what they say. Pretty sure whatever they decide the problem is they will probably advise me not to go ahead, so then I have to decide whether to take that advice or not. Obviously I know what the sensible option is, but after nearly 10 months of build up, planning and training I'm finding it very hard to contemplate the possibility of it not happening - of course if that happened I would do it in the future, but that would be next Spring at the earliest and see me lose quite a bit of money. What I am banking on right now is waking up in the morning feeling refreshed and well with no weird lumps in my neck....

I guess the only option now is to see a doctor tomorrow, work out what I'm dealing with then make my mind up about what happens next....I'm not the best person when it comes to last minute decisions but I guess I don't have much choice now...

No comments:

Post a Comment